Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stir Fry with Water


Did you know that you can stir fry food in water?

Whhhhhaaaaaahhhhhhhh?

But aren't we supposed to use olive oil? What about healthy fats? Is it not our privilege and our DUTY to glug copious amounts of "healthy" oil all over our food?

Actually, calorie for calorie, olive oil (or any kind of oil) is not a good source for healthy fats. You're better off eating avocado or munching on some nuts.

















Start out by covering the bottom of the pan with water. You want it to be sizzling and bubbling up a little bit. It helps to keep a little cup of water next to you on the stove so that you can re-wet the pan if the water all evaporates.

















Get ready to add your veggies.

















I cooked the snap peas and carrots first. It only took about 3 minutes of stirring them around to get them to the perfect "crisp-tender" state. They are best when then are cooked just enough to heat them up and take the edge off. You still want a little crunch and you still want them to taste like carrots and snap peas. They're yummy and sweet!

















This green leafy stuff is called tat soi. It's only the second time we've ever had it.
Now, I'm not very good at cooking the stir fry all at once, so I took out the snap peas and carrots and added the shrooms, scallions and garlic. Then I let that stuff cook down before adding the green leafy stuff. Green leafy stuff cooks pretty fast. I do know that.

















Once the green leafy stuff was cooked down, I added the peas and carrots back to the pan. I finished the stir fry off with some bottled stir fry sauce.

















Dinner is served! ...with brown rice. Ignore that square stuff on the stick. More on that later.

















Belle gets to eat some stir fry too!

We all liked our veggie stir fry! The flavors of the veggies really shined through. Next time I don't think I will use the stir fry sauce. It took away and distracted from the true yumminess of the meal instead of adding to it. Just a little soy sauce served on the side is all you really need for this!

So, have you ever tried stir frying or sautéing with just water before? Do you think you will try it?









4 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Perfect for my family. I like the pics that you added. My son's wife is expecting their first child and my first grandchild, I am interested in making baby food from fresh vegetables, what is your thought on that? It it easy to store?
    Also, what is your thought on adding flaxseed to meals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tess! Thank you so much! Yes, making baby food is simple and easy to store. I made all kinds of stuff for my first daughter. My second daughter isn't so big on the baby food, so I just let her have whatever we're having (within reason).
    Check out the site wholesomebabyfood.com :)
    Yup, that's tofu! It's the first time we've ever tried it ;0

    ReplyDelete